The Ultimate Iceland Bucket List: 10 Must-Do Experiences
Updated: Jan 8
Iceland is a unique and beautiful country that has become increasingly popular in recent years as a travel destination. With its stunning natural landscapes, rich culture, and diverse activities, it's no wonder that Iceland has something to offer for every type of traveler. Here are the top 10 things to do in Iceland!
Visit the Blue Lagoon – The Blue Lagoon is a must-see for any visitor to Iceland. Located in a lava field in the southwestern part of the country, this geothermal spa is a perfect place to relax and rejuvenate.
2. See the Northern Lights – Iceland is one of the best places in the world to see the aurora borealis, also known as the Northern Lights. The best time to see the lights is during the winter months, when the skies are clear and the nights are long.
3. Explore Reykjavik – Iceland's capital city is a charming and vibrant place to visit. With its colorful houses, lively music scene, and rich cultural history, there is always something to see and do in Reykjavik.
4. Hike through the Golden Circle – The Golden Circle is a popular tourist route that takes you through some of Iceland's most breathtaking landscapes. Highlights include the Gullfoss waterfall, the geothermal area of Geysir, and the Thingvellir National Park.
5. Go whale watching – Iceland is home to a variety of whale species, including humpback whales, minke whales, and killer whales. Going on a whale watching tour is a once-in-a-lifetime experience that you won't want to miss.
6. Take a dip in a natural hot spring – Iceland is home to many natural hot springs, which are the perfect place to relax and unwind after a long day of exploring. Some popular hot springs include the Secret Lagoon and the Myvatn Nature Baths.
7. Go horseback riding – Iceland is home to a unique breed of horse that is well-suited to the country's rugged terrain. Horseback riding is a great way to experience the Icelandic landscape and get a sense of the country's rich equestrian culture.
8. Visit the Vatnajökull glacier – The Vatnajökull glacier is the largest glacier in Europe and a must-see for any visitor to Iceland. There are several ways to experience the glacier, including hiking, ice climbing, and even taking a boat tour.
9. Go fishing – Iceland is home to many rivers, lakes, and streams that are home to a variety of fish species. Whether you're an experienced angler or a beginner, there is a fishing experience for everyone in Iceland.
10. Visit the Reykjanes Peninsula – The Reykjanes Peninsula is a geological wonderland with its black sand beaches, dramatic cliffs, and geothermal activity. Highlights include the Reykjanesviti lighthouse and the Bridge Between Continents.
There are so many amazing things to do in Iceland, and this list is just a starting point. No matter what your interests are, you are sure to find something to love about this unique and beautiful country.